Thursday, April 26, 2012

Windows 7 new install Driver trouble?

After some computer trouble yesterday, I determined that I needed a new OS. (Vista wasn't booting up, and I was just generally ready to get rid of that horrible OS). I purchased and installed the Windows 7 64 bit Home Basic Upgrade. After some trial and error I figured out that my network adapter was bad, but only after I had formated the hard drive and reinstalled 7.



Now I am unable to get my sound or video card drivers installed and working.



When I install the sound driver from Acer, which is unfortunately not for win7, the driver just seems to disappear when I restart. The device manager doesn't even show a sound or unknown driver. I am not too worried about this, because I have a friend with an extra sound card that he will give me.



I am more concerned about my video driver. I have an Nvidia Gefore GT 220. I installed the lasted driver from Nvidia, and when I restart, as prompted from the install screen, the computer freezes just after the loading windows screen. I get a black screen, no mouse, after the animation for starting windows. I have to restart the computer and run the start up repair, and then do a system restore to before I installed the Nvidia driver. I have tried using the last two older drivers from Nvidia, and on one I got the blue screen of death (physical memory dump) and on the other I got the same start up freeze as the more resent driver.



My sound, video and network adapter all worked before I installed Win7. Could this mean my motherboard is dieing as the sound and the network adapter were onboard? Is there anything I can do to get my video card to work?



Specs:

Acer Aspire M5100

Originally had Vista 32 bit

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ 2.3 GH

4 GB RAM|||Driver Max - if you register as a FREE user it will scan your computer and find missing and outdated drivers. Free users can download two drivers per day. It is also available for purchase, your choice.







http://www.drivermax.com/



After closer reading, take the side off your computer and make sure all fans are working, this could be a graphics card or ram problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment