Friday, April 6, 2012

I got a new mobo and processor today, but I am having serious driver issues with my video card (Windows 7).?

So, I got a new motherboard today, turning my old dusty Compaq into a mighty home-made-from-scratch computer once and for all. I've had a really old video card which I plan to replace soon anyway for awhile (a Radeon x1300 with 256 MB of RAM - a video card from /5 years ago/). I did a clean install of Windows 7, as is typical of a new mobo and processor, and I've discovered, much to my dismay, that the computer has decided that the video card drivers are worth abusing.

The new mobo lacks onboard video, and I have reseated the old motherboard in another case and given it to a friend who needed a computer, so I'm SOL currently. Allow me to explain: For awhile, my boot up was running fine - Windows 7 seemed to smoothly work, and that's what I had expected. After all, the video card was perfectly fine on the previous install, and it ran for several months. After a little while, though, I would get tics - "ATI Radeon Family driver has crashed. It has succesfully recovered." I used to get these before when I was trying to run S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and I do owe that to the fact that it's a degrading piece of technology. Now, however, it has become malicious. The computer screen has gone /permanently black/ after log-in to my Windows 7 account. I was able to boot into safe mode and uninstall the old driver, which made it work until I installed the driver once again.

I ran for about 50 minutes until, while installing iTunes, the computer screen phased into utter darkness. Additionally, I was seeing artifacts while playing Spelunky... Which is a very lo-fi pixel game that could run on a public school computer with relative ease. I'm not sure where these driver issues have suddenly come from, and I plan to replace the video card anyway... But, is this something that can be remedied with a video card that has modern drivers? I'm not certain of the source of the problem.

Sorry for the tl;dr question, but it's a complicated issue.|||^STALKER is a video game, not a virus! haha!

Are you installing your driver properly?

1. Uninstall drivers

2. Run driver sweeper and clean out your old driver files for good

3. Reboot

4. Install new, manufacturer drivers

5. Reboot



What drivers are you using? Try Ati issued ones, and always avoid Modded INF drivers. Feel free to contact me on answers if you need additional assistance.|||ATI has serious problems with their video cards and drivers. With Windows 7, the problems got even worse. I recommend just getting a Nvidia card.|||if your still not sure on what to do

then go to your local computer store and get them to look at it and fix it for you|||Hi there could be other issues here, having replaced the motherboard and processor is the memory compatible with the motherboard as this is another issue generally.

it sounds like its more than one issue here, but it could be resolved with a new video card.

it is a case of suck it and see, have you tried the old graphics card web site, as sometimes they have more updated drivers for the cards

No comments:

Post a Comment